Monday, August 13, 2012

DVD Extras – The Animated Cast Gallery

I love DVD extras! Extras are a reason I like to get the DVD instead of streaming or buying digital.  Of course sometimes, the extras consist only of trailers for other DVDs, or even just one trailer for a bunch of other videos.  But, when I can get a good "Making of..." feature, I am in heaven. I always enjoy the backstage activity, and seeing how the production comes together. (Sometimes I think rehearsals are more fascinating than actual performances.)

Sometimes, a disc will have multiple bonuses.  This 2006 Cosi Fan Tutte from Glyndebourne has five extras that all are specific to this production!  There is an interview with the director, another with the conductor, and one with the cast.  In addition, there is a synopsis, and best of all, the "Animated Cast Gallery."

The Animated Cast Gallery is awesome! (Yes, sometimes I am easily pleased.) It's a good introduction to the six principles, and shows them getting ready to go onstage. I highly recommend looking at this before starting the opera. 

On the other hand, I like to save the "Making of.." stuff for intermission features.  This is probably because I grew up with Met radio broadcasts and Great Performances on PBS. But it's also because I really need a good stretch every 90 to 120 minutes or so - especially when watching on the computer!*

This is the first time I have seen this type of feature, and I hope the DVD producers will keep giving us more like this!



*Not that there's anything wrong with sitting at the computer. In fact I am checking out the  Rolando Villazón recital from the Verbier Festival on medici.tv as I am typing this. I really need to get a comfier desk chair! (The recital was only OK, but a concert version of Le Nozze di Figaro was quite nice.)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are very welcome! They won't be moderated; but rude, abusive, and/or radically off-topic posts will be removed.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...