Sunday, December 2, 2012

Sunday Brunch – Lakmé: Flower Duet



This is a beautiful, wonderful duet, even before British Airways hijacked it for a TV commercial and turned it into a warhorse! I remember back in my dark ages (LPs and Reel-to-Reel tapes) my parents hung out with a bunch of other singers. Two of their soprano buddies sang this duet and Mira, O Norma (and Sull' aria, of course) pretty much at the drop of hat! I was hooked on soprano duets before I even knew what was going on!  


Elina Garanca & Anna Netrebko in concert


In the first act, Lakme and one of her servants pause by a river to gather flowers, and sing this duet to help establish the opera's exotic atmosphere. After looking at the English translation of the text, I am thinking it might be better just to enjoy the pretty singing.



Under the thick dome where the white jasmine
With the roses entwined together
On the river bank covered with flowers laughing in the morning
Let us descend together!
Gently floating on its charming risings,
On the river’s current
On the shining waves,
One hand reaches,
Reaches for the bank,
Where the spring sleeps,
And the bird, the bird sings.
Under the thick dome where the white jasmine
Ah! Calling us
Together!

3 comments:

  1. . . definitely .enjoying the pretty singing! I am more and more a fan of Garanca. I liked her before, then hearing her sing Sesto recently made me thing hm: I need to hear more of this mezzo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that should be "think" not "thing" - I should not write anything before drinking my coffee

      Delete
    2. Dad saw the Met in HD broadcast yesterday and was very impressed. He had not heard/seen Clemenza before. He also liked Act 2 better than Act 1. I need to explore that more with him.

      Delete

Comments are very welcome! They won't be moderated; but rude, abusive, and/or radically off-topic posts will be removed.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...