Sunday, January 13, 2013

Sunday Brunch – Miah Persson Sings Sacred Mozart

Yesterday morning I was daydreaming about Miah Persson singing Lungi da te mio bene from Mozart’s Mitridate. And I wondered to myself: what else could ever be as lovely? I came across this performance of the Et incarnatus from Mozart’s Great C minor mass.  Mozart never completed this mass, and it’s really the most operatic sacred work he wrote—with lots of flashy arias and massive double choruses. It’s kind of Mozart’s answer to the Verdi Requiem (if, indeed, anyone had asked) or Rossini’s Stabat Mater.  If Mozart had completed this Mass, it would rival Beethoven’s Missa Solemnis or Bach’s B-minor Mass  in massiveness (pun intended).

Anyway, here is some massively beautiful singing from the lovely and talented Miah Persson. 

Oh, and remember the other day, when I was wishing I could hear Ann Hallenberg and Miah Persson sing together? Well, as soon as I can track down the full recording of this Mass (from the Nobel Peace Prize Concert in 2009, and conducted by John Eliot Gardiner) I will get to! And, the concert features another Swedish gem: Peter Mattei (I will gush about him in an upcoming post). 


6 comments:

  1. Miah Persson is a treasure. I've come across her amazing Sifare on your blog - for which I can't thank you enough! And next month I'm gonna see her as the countess in Figaro (alas, only a concert performance); I'm really looking forward to that one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment.You are lucky, lucky, lucky. I can imagine Miah in concert is 10 times better than on a recording. Glad you found her here. If you haven't already, check out her Glyndebourne Cosi Fan Tutte. Some excerpts are in the Gratuitous index.

      Delete
    2. I have watched most of the Glyndebourne Cosi - kind of a dreamcast, with Persson, Lehtipuu and Pisaroni!
      I'm really happy that Persson is switching to the "heavier" Mozartean roles though. I hope she'll get to Vitellia quickly - with that voice, Deh se piacer mi vuoi should be incredible...

      Delete
    3. She would be an awesome psycho-Vitellia.

      Delete
  2. I don't know whether you've seen it yet, but a part of this Mass is actually up on youtube :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! This is the only excerpt I've seen so far. I will look for it.

      Delete

Comments are very welcome! They won't be moderated; but rude, abusive, and/or radically off-topic posts will be removed.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...