Sunday, February 24, 2013

Sunday Brunch – Ruby Hughes Sings Richard Strauss (and Mahler)

Listen to this broadcast on the BBC 3 iPlayer as soon as you can (before they take it down!) British soprano Ruby Hughes and the BBC Philharmonic, conducted by Gianandrea Noseda present four songs by Richard Strauss: Freundliche Vision, Waldseligkeit, Befreit and Zueignung, which Strauss himself orchestrated. (Not the Four Last Songs as I first thought I read. I really need to learn to stop skimming!) 


Ms. Hughes is a new voice to me. She won the London Handel Competition in 2009, and made her ENO debut in Monteverdi’s Il ritorno di Ulisse in 2011The BBC appointed her as a New Generation Artist for 2012-2013. She has an extensive repertoire, but her operatic focus so far is on Mozart and earlier music. I hear a potential Rosenkavalier Sophie. After you listen to the Strauss, click on the Mahler clip below:

Mahler: Ich bin der Welt abhanden gekommen
(I am lost to the world)

This exquisite Mahler performance was posted at YT by her management, so it will probably stay there for a while. OTOH, the iPlayer Strauss clip may disappear any time, so listen to that first! 


4 comments:

  1. Bless the BBC3 for these broadcasts - and you for posting them! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I think she's quite a find. I need to keep remembering to check the BBC now and then.

      Delete
  2. Oddly enough, to this Mancunian, "Live from Salford" doesn't sound at all promising!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand. I almost passed her right by. But I'm glad I didn't.

      Delete

Comments are very welcome! They won't be moderated; but rude, abusive, and/or radically off-topic posts will be removed.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...