Friday, March 29, 2013

Good Friday – Rossini’s Stabat Mater: Sancta mater, istud agas




Abstract Pieta ©2013 ~lanestonecyper
At the height of his fame, Rossini walked away from opera and set the sorrows of the Virgin Mary to music. 

Rossini's setting is perhaps a bit bouncier than one might expect on a Good Friday, and it doesn't really match the solemnity of the text. At the same time, you might consider Rossini is focusing on standing beside Mary in solidarity, faith, and love.

Or, you could simply appreciate this quartet as pure, beautiful, virtuoso, vocal music. As you look over the soloists listed below for this recording, you will discover another reason I really love this recording.


 Malin Hartelius, soprano
Anna Bonitatibus, mezzo-soprano
Martin Mitterutzner, tenor
Luca Pisaroni, bass-baritone
Cleveland Orchestra and Chorus
Franz Welser-Möst, conductor 


Sancta mater, istud agas,                   Holy Mother, grant this of yours,

Crucifixi fige plagas                             that the wounds of the Crucified be well-formed

cordi meo valide.                                 in my heart.

Tui Nati vulnerati                               Grant that the punishment of your wounded Son
tam dignati pro me pati                      so worthily suffered for me,

poenas mecum divide.                        may be shared with me.

Fac me vere tecum fiere                    Let me sincerely weep with you,

Crucifixo condolere,                            bemoan the Crucified,

donec ego vixero!                                 for as long as I live.

Juxta crucem tecum stare                 To stand beside the cross with you,

Te libenter sociare                              and for me to join you

in planctu desidero.                             in mourning, this I desire.

Virgo virginum praeclara,                  Chosen Virgin of virgins,

mihi jam non sis amara;                     to me, now, be not bitter;

fac me tecum plangere.                      let me mourn with you.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are very welcome! They won't be moderated; but rude, abusive, and/or radically off-topic posts will be removed.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...